Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Day 4 - Network Dedication at the HEC

This was Network Dedication Day at the HEC. There were about 75 university administrators and faculty members in Islamabad at the HEC and about the same number on video. The ceremony was lead by Dr. Atta-ur-Rahman, Chairman of the HEC. My part of the dedication was quite small. I'll post my speech in another entry. I think that part went well. I think IU captured this part on video.

The second part of the dedication was a workshop on the description and capabilities of this new network connection. This was all me interacting with the audience. This seemed to go well also. Some universities have a good idea of how this new capability can be used...others not so much.

Following the workshop I spent 15 minutes with Dr. Atta-ur-Rahman. He is a very dynamic leader. He fulfills his role as Chairman of the HEC and also edits journals in his academic field (Chemistry) and continues to have graduate students.

One funny event happened during the meeting...we were talking and there was a huge explosion (loud noise) . Dr. Rahman was quiet for a moment...then smiled and said, "Just a tire...not a bomb.....I think...no sirens...". The conversation (which was very interesting) continued...

Tomorrow...meeting with some staff from the Embassy in the morning, with the National University of Science and Technology in the afternoon...then packing and getting ready for a 20 hour plane ride home....

No comments: