Saturday, April 12, 2008

Day 5 (Last day in Pakistan)

Day 5 (Last day in Pakistan)

I had a meeting with some staff from the US Embassy this morning. They seemed interested and helpful…but I am just a visitor and they are here permanently. So they have a different way of thinking about and viewing things…They know how slowly things can work in Pakistan and how bureaucratic things can be… probably a good counterweight to my enthusiasm….

Oddly enough, one of the Embassy employees knew Brad Wheeler from previous School of Business work together. Pretty funny to go halfway around the world and have a meeting about higher educations in Pakistan and have the first question be, “I see you are from Indiana University. Do you know Brad Wheeler?” Small world…

I had an afternoon meeting at the National University of Science and Technology (NUST). They already have some international partnership and would like to use this connection to leverage their existing relationships and create new ones. They seem well funded and committed. We will see…

I visited the Pakistan Museum of Natural History on Thursday afternoon. It was very interesting. You get a better sense of how Pakistan is really composed of a number of different peoples from South Asia (Iran, China, and Southren Russia) and how different Pakistan is culturally from south to north and east to west.

I have been feeling a little sick. Not so good given that I will be flying for 20+ hours tomorrow. I will be careful what I eat and I am sure it will be fine. I hope to sleep much of the way…

A delightful 4:30am wake-up call…and then off…

No comments: